Emacs 24.5 − latest release
The current stable release is 24.5 (released April 10, 2015;
see also dates of older releases).
To obtain it, visit the download
Emacs 24 has a wide variety of new features, including:
- A packaging system and interface (M-x list-packages)
for downloading and installing extensions. A default package
archive is hosted by GNU and maintained by the Emacs
- Support for displaying and editing bidirectional text, including
right-to-left scripts such as Arabic and Hebrew.
- Support for lexical scoping in Emacs Lisp.
- Improvements to the Custom Themes system (M-x customize-themes).
- Unified and improved completion system in many modes and packages.
- Built-in support
For more information, read the News file.